Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Inferno

Statistically speaking, one in three female high school students will experience abuse of some kind in a dating relationship.
Women ages 18-34 are at the greatest risk for experiencing abuse. Half of these women will attempt suicide.
Alternately, one in four victims of abuse turn to drugs.
I chose the latter.

Without going into the details of my first experience and the dirty details of my time as an active addict, because I'm saving the long story for another time, I'll stick to simple facts.

It was a means of escape. The drug was an instant reward to my long suffering mind.
During this time I was fearless. Something I had never been, especially lately. My voice came through loud and clear. I told him to stop.
I told him I would take no more.
Drugs helped me to escape him.
I was free. Or so I thought.

It became clear very early on that I was increasing my intake at a rapid pace.
I never said no. Cocaine, heroin, crack, ecstasy, pills. All were welcome, but meth was my drug of choice. I gave it no boundaries. Pipes, lines, syringes. All were welcome.
All were welcome.

Then I began to exhibit alarming signs. My own drug using friends started telling me that I needed to cut down. Something wasn't right. The pleas to cut down turned into please to stop altogether.
After surviving a near overdose, I began to see their point. But it's not so easy.

Substance abuse is the second leading cause for suicide according to Psychology Today. In fact, people with substance use disorders are six times more likely to commit suicide than the general population.
I once witnessed the scene of a recent suicide. A week before, I was talking with the victim about his inability to get a handle on his own meth addiction.

Luckily, I had the support I needed to quit. The statistics that addicts face are dark.

To be continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment